Cria growth rates
Are your crias growing?
An exert from Australian Vet, Jane Vaughan’s Website www.criagenesis.cc
Some rules of thumb to ensure your crias are receiving adequate nutrition:
- Crias should double their birth weight by 30-60 days of age.
- Crias should be weaned at approxmately 4 months of age weighing > 25 kg.
- Crias should weigh 45 kg by 12 months of age.
If your crias are not achieving these goals, reasons may include:
- Inadequate dam & cria nutrition.
- Inadequate vitamin D supplementation.
- Treat at least every animal born in 2014, 2015 and 2016, or if in doubt, treat the entire herd.
- Treat now, and again in July and September.
- Each animal should receive 2000 iu vitamin D per kg bodyweight, injected under the skin.
- Read the bottle label carefully and weigh your animals to ensure accurate dosage.